Are you prepared, Washington DC? Superior Con returns for its 2019 present April 26-28 on the Walter E. Washington Conference Middle. Along with movie star friends together with forged members from Riverdale and plenty of comics superstars, Superior Con will function quite a lot of exclusives from publishers. Plus, Smithsonian journal’s Future Con returns to discover science and know-how in sci-fi and fantasy.
That will help you plan your con weekend, The Beat has rounded up information about simply a few of what’s to return. Test it out!
Superior Con Jr.
The Toy Affiliation presents this family-friendly pavilion for Superior Con attendees of all ages, with particular programming focused at youngsters and youth.
- Monster Battle Time KO! (three:45PM – April 28 – Superior Con Jr Stage) – Three groups of artists go head-to-head within the largest Monster Battle Time of the season! This yr there are three groups of stellar cartoonists to design your monsters and battle for final inventive glory! Free comics to all attendees.
- Dreamworks Screening (four:00PM – April 26 – Superior Con Jr. Stage) – DreamWorks will shock visitors with a particular function screening.
- Youngsters Costume Parade (12:00PM – April 27 | 12:00PM – April 28 – Superior Con Jr Stage) – Superior Con is happy to announce the Youngsters Costume Parade! Registration is restricted to the primary 30 youngsters (and their mother and father).
- Nationwide Wildlife Federation Animal Present with Naturalist David Mizejewski (1:30PM – April 27 – Superior Con Jr Stage) – An academic presentation of unique animals from everywhere in the world with a message about conservation.
Future Con at Superior Con
As famous above, Smithsonian journal’s Future Con returns this yr to attach scientists and entertainers for an academic, distinctive exploration of style. “It’s an awesome cross-section of science and science fiction, and what we rejoice is loads of nice cross pollination,” stated Michael Caruso, Future Con founder and Smithsonian journal Editor in Chief and Vice President of Reside Occasions, in a press release. “We get about 70,00zero individuals to the Con and up to now have welcomed everybody from Patrick Stewart and William Shatner, to individuals from DARPA and NASA and IBM.”
This yr, Future Con will function NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine, Dr. Erin Macdonald, the CIA and extra.
- Exploring the Way forward for Crime (11:00AM – April 27 – Room 150) – Technological advances have benefited our world in immeasurable methods—however there’s an ominous flip aspect. Criminals are sometimes the earliest, and most revolutionary, adopters of know-how, and trendy occasions have led to trendy crimes. From huge knowledge to synthetic intelligence and genetics to robotics, right now’s criminals are on the forefront of the tsunami of technological threats coming our method. On this session, Marc Goodman, writer of the New York Occasions best-selling guide Future Crimes, rips opens his database of a whole lot of actual instances to offer the viewers front-row entry to those impending perils. Whereas most of the tales Goodman will inform sound like science fiction, they’re certainly absolutely rooted in startling scientific details. This dialogue will increase raises robust questions concerning the increasing position of know-how in our lives and suggest a path ahead to make sure all of us profit from humanity’s technological advances moderately than turn into imperiled by them.
- The Science of Voltron: Legendary Defender (5:00PM – April 26 – Room 144) – Come alongside, Paladins! The Voltron: Legendary Defender collection has come to an in depth, so it’s time to discover a number of the greatest science within the collection. We’ll study wormholes, crystals, gluon fields, and rather more whereas we talk about how a lot the collection acquired proper (and some issues they obtained mistaken). Youngsters of all ages are welcome!
- Science of Aquaman (7:00PM – April 26 – Room 144) – This panel will talk about the precise science behind Aquaman’s powers. He can talk with marine life, is tailored to stay and thrive in harsh underwater environments and has superhuman power. All these talents, together with with the ability to “speak to fish,” as Batman would say, are rooted in science. Come study concerning the unimaginable variations that permit life to thrive within the extremes of the deep ocean, the strategies scientists use to review the undersea panorama, and the bio-inspired applied sciences being developed that would permit a human to successfully tackle the skills of Aquaman.
- Germ Warfare: A Very Graphic Historical past (12:00PM – April 27 – Room 146) – Be a part of world-renowned writer Max Brooks (World Warfare Z) for a dialog about his newly-released graphic novel on the risks posed by organic brokers. Members of the Blue Ribbon Research Panel on Biodefense may even be current to debate the novel and its message about the specter of organic assaults and naturally occurring outbreaks within the 21st century.
- Astronomy 101 By means of Science Fiction (5:00pm – April 27 – Room 144) – Welcome to Astronomy 101! All the time needed to study astronomy? Science Fiction fan? Dr Erin Macdonald will take us via the primary semester of astronomy with hardly any math and an entire lot of science fiction references. We’ll blaze by means of the science of planets, the photo voltaic system, and stars at warp velocity; come able to study!
- Intelligence Tremendous Fashions: 3D Modeling within the Intelligence Group (eight:00pm – April 27 – Room 144) – Be a part of U.S. Intelligence Group specialists on digital and bodily 3D modeling who will reveal and talk about their experiences impacting nationwide safety missions. 3D modelers will exhibit quite a lot of capabilities utilized by NGA and CIA throughout the 3D disciplines, together with leveraging imagery and geospatial info to visualise human actions that happen on the Earth.
- The Story and Science of Gravitational Waves (2:00pm – April 28 – Room 144) – In 2015 our quest to review and discover the universe took an enormous leap ahead with the invention of gravitational waves. The LIGO Scientific Collaboration has detected ripples in spacetime from the collision of black holes in addition to a neutron star merger that confirmed up in each spectrum attainable. Dr Erin Macdonald (a former member of LIGO) will talk about the historical past behind the detection, share some enjoyable tales, and what these discoveries imply for astrophysics going ahead.
Lion Forge can be internet hosting a launch social gathering for The Underfoot: The Mighty Deep on Sat., Apr. 27 at eight p.m. at Mackey’s Public Home, 1306 G St. NW! The unique graphic novel collection by Ben Fisher, Emily S. Whitten, Michelle Nguyen and Thom Zahler chronicles the animal kingdoms left to rise (and fall) within the absence of the Giants-That-Wer. The primary OGN, The Underfoot: The Mighty Deep, follows the Hamster Aquatic Mercenaries, who wee gifted with intelligence and self-awareness and now should hold their horde alive on this new world.
Oni Press shall be at Sales space #1821 at Superior Con, with loads of exclusives and new releases on the market.
- The Constructing Blocks of High quality Characters (four:00PM — April 27 — Room 150) — Be a part of Oni Press Writer James Lucas Jones alongside creators in a head-to-head competitors the place characters are constructed with literal youngsters’s constructing blocks.
- Monster Battle Time KO! (three:45PM — April 28 — AC Jr. Stage) — Three artists go head-to-head in Monster Battle Time! Three stellar cartoonists will design your monsters and battle for final inventive glory! Free comics to all attendees!
Satisfaction Alley at Superior Con
Introduced by Geeks OUT! and Washington Blade in partnership with Superior Con, Satisfaction Alley returns for its third yr to shine a highlight on LGBTQ creators and followers with a strong part of artist alley. Particular packages will tackle variety in popular culture.
- Fabulous Fictional Females (1:30PM – April 26 – Room 152) – that includes a various panel of feminine writers, artists, and editors discussing the ‘Robust Feminine Character’ trope, breaking down what goes into telling an awesome story and sharing our skilled experiences within the realms of comics, literature, and theater.
- Gender in SFF Fiction: Ladies & Nonbinary Authors (2:30PM – April 26 – Room 152) – From the elusive Robust Feminine Protagonist to LGBTQ illustration, and what a person writer’s duty is, this panel will discover what it means to be a feminine or nonbinary writer within the male-dominated style of sci-fi and fantasy fiction.Variety Amongst the Stars (four:30PM – April 26 – Room 144) –A celebration of the various characters we love and a dialogue about how the galaxy has modified over the previous few years and the place we nonetheless hope it might go.
- Strengthening Geek Tradition (four:30PM – April 26 – Room 152) —A highlight on queer creators and followers, Strengthening Geek Tradition will unite the LGBTQ and allied creators attending Superior Con via a panel celebrating the range and creativity of queer geekdom and LGBTQ contributions to popular culture.
- Exploring Homosexual & Lesbian Comedian Creators (5:30PM – April 26 – Room 144) – This panel will discover a few of the creators and their contributions to producing homosexual and lesbian comics and the way they’ve influenced the mainstream comedian business to today. A few of the creators that shall be explored are Howard Cruse (Caught Rubber Child), Trina Robbins (Wimmen’s Comix), Alison Bechdel (Enjoyable Home), and Joe Phils (Joe Boys) to call a couple of.
- Resistance, Feminism, & Fandom (6:30PM – April 26 – Room 144) – Science fiction is usually a type of social commentary, and interesting with sci-fi fandom means voicing that commentary by way of social media. As ladies, individuals of colour, and different LGBT+ individuals who’re fairly seen in fandom throughout this charged period in American politics, we need to talk about our experiences talking out on numerous social platforms even when it is probably not the favored factor to do.
- We ARE Gaymers! Be Proud! (11:30 AM – April 27 – Room 152) A dialogue surrounding the collective id of players, outdoors unfavourable suggestions, and the way the group can response
- Professional Wrestling Connection for Marginalized Followers (1:30PM — April 27 – Room 152) Centering ladies, non-binary, & LGBTQ+ voices in wrestling fandom-these followers have essential views to share. Should you’ve by no means felt snug at a wrestling panel earlier than, this one’s for you.
- Crossplay 101 (2:30PM – April 27 – Room 152) – An introductory lecture about what crossplay is and educating the best way to crossplay safely.
- Illustration Issues, So Make It Good (four:30PM – April 27 – Room 152) Tales matter. Extra numerous media illustration is extremely essential, however not all illustration is created equal. The results of years of narrative analysis, this panel lays out a complete and straightforward to comply with information to creating wholesome and compelling queer characters and tales, with examples and strategies throughout media and genres.
- The BLERD Panel (5:30PM – April 27 – Room 152) – Choosing up the place we left off final yr, the BLERD Panel will give the black nerd state of the union with comedy, connection, and group!
- Cositivity (12:30PM – April 28 – Room 152) – This panel is designed to be a protected area for cosplayers to debate their experiences with cosplay. Mediated by the panelists, we might be sharing our experiences in addition to opening the ground for others to debate theirs.
- Voice-a-Palooza (6:30Pm – April 26 – Room 146) – VIDEO GAME VOICE ACTORS BEHAVING BADLY. Be a part of skilled voice actors as they reinterpret film scripts, poetry, songs and extra of their character voices, learn the craziest phrases that YOU present of their character voices, and create a completely new online game from YOUR options. A Basic and a MUST NOT MISS.
- Superior Con Brief Movie Fest — Grabbing some popcorn, all your folks, and a seat, as Joe Carabeo (Award profitable Director, Astray Productions President, Undertaking Decision Producer) brings the Superior Con Brief Movie Pageant to you! There will even be an unique filmmakers Q&A after the screenings afterwards moderated by TV host Molly Nevola.
- Sci Fi / Motion / Horror (2:00PM – April 26 – Room 101)
- Superior Con Brief Movie Fest – Comedy & Drama (12:00PM – April 27 – Room 101)
- Superior Con Brief Movie Fest – Documentaries & Extra (12:00PM – April 28 – Room 101
- Serving to Youngsters Perceive the World By way of Nonfiction, Reality-Based mostly Fiction, and Actual Science (1:00PM – April 28 – Room 150) – Nationwide Geographic Youngsters Editors speak about writing thrilling non-fiction for teenagers, how one can infuse your story with an excellent dose of actual science, and easy methods to hold ’em coming again for extra of the great things: information.
- Very Secret, Very Cool, However Not Aliens: The U-2, the A-12, and Space 51 (5:00PM – April 26 – Room 140) – CIA historians will current the event, deployment, and capabilities of the CIA’s most well-known spy planes, in addition to the testing website the helped make well-known. Come study concerning the U-2, the A-12 (and the vastly inferior SR-71), and Space 51. Additionally, be a part of a dialogue of research carried out by Gerald Haines about UFO sightings and the correlation with the operations carried out by these plane.
- DC Celebrates 80 Years of Batman Comics (5:00pm – April 27 – Room 150) – Eighty years after his debut, Batman continues to be one of the well-liked and iconic Tremendous Heroes of all time. Meet a number of the key gamers within the Darkish Knight’s world who create and convey you the most effective Batman comics tales ever. Buckle up for an unimaginable experience within the Batmobile and listen to what these creators need to say about one in every of your all-time favourite DC Tremendous Heroes!
- Some Heroes Put on Cardigans: Librarians at CIA (1:00PM – April 27 – Room 140) – Madam Pince in Harry Potter. Giles in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Dr. Barbara Gordon in Batman. Librarians and libraries have been depicted in popular culture quite a lot of methods all through the years, however are sometimes portrayed as sidekicks. The librarians at CIA assume in another way. Come hear them speak about what it’s wish to be a librarian working in espionage and talk about why they assume some heroes put on cardigans.
To view the complete schedule for Superior Con and take a look at an exhibitor map, take a look at www.awesome-con.com.
Samantha Puc is an essayist and tradition critic whose work has been featured on Bitch Media, The Mary Sue, Bustle, and elsewhere. She principally writes intersectional popular culture evaluation with a specific give attention to illustration of LGBTQ and fats characters in fiction. Samantha is the managing editor at The Beat, in addition to the co-creator and editor-in-chief of Fatventure Magazine, an outdoor zine for fats creators who’re into being lively, however not into poisonous weight-loss tradition. She lives in Rhode Island together with her associate and cats.