The nominees for the 91st Academy Awards have been introduced, and comics followers’ kvetching and endurance have been lastly rewarded as Black Panther acquired a nomination for Greatest Image. Whereas that is the primary superhero film to be so honored, it’s not the primary comics character to attain a Greatest Image nod. Learn on to find the reply, and the myriad comics movies which have been honored by the Academy of Movement Image Arts and Sciences! (and missed by different web sites discussing comics films!) I’ve additionally included the uncommon movies that use comics or the superhero style as background for unique tales, resembling The Incredibles.
Right here’s one thing to ponder… Will Black Panther be the primary Marvel Cinematic Universe film to win an Academy Award? (The dropping streak is ten.) Or will it get snubbed, like one other “coloured” African-American film?
CAVEAT: I say “virtually definitive” as a result of I created this record by studying the outcomes for every awards present on Wikipedia, after which doing cursory analysis on the nominees for Overseas Movie, Documentary classes, and brief topics. As all the time, in the event you uncover an omission, please depart us a observe under, and we’ll instantly remorse the error.
Skippy, based mostly on the caricature by Percy Crosby, acquired the next nominations:
- Excellent Manufacturing (It misplaced to Cimarron, a Western.)
- Greatest Director (Norman Taurog gained. He was nominated once more for Boys City. For me, Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine might be probably the most enjoyable, though Elvis and Martin and Lewis followers may quibble.)
- Greatest Actor (Jackie Cooper, who many comics followers acknowledge as Perry White within the Superman films.)
- Greatest Adaptation (Joseph L. Mankiewicz and Sam Mintz, based mostly on the caricature by Percy Crosby)
If you need one thing actually really weird, take a look at Simply Think about, a science fiction musical-comedy! It acquired a nomination for Greatest Artwork Course.
Superman, the primary episode of the now-classic Fleischer collection, was nominated for Greatest Brief Topics–Cartoons. It misplaced to “Lend a Paw“, a Pluto cartoon from Walt Disney. [What’s really amazing is the utter lack of superhero or comics animated shorts in the past century. While hand-drawn animation is expensive, the medium could accommodate almost anything published in a comic book.]
Nelson Riddle and Joseph J. Lilley have been nominated for Greatest Scoring of a Musical Image for Li’l Abner, the movement image adaptation of the Broadway musical based mostly on Al Capp’s caricature. [Six Degree of Kevin Bacon fans should note that Jerry Lewis and Valerie Harper both appear in minor roles in this movie.] […and for you Batman fans, Julie Newmar appears as Stupefyin’ Jones.]
Munro, directed by Gene Deitch, written by Jules Feiffer, and produced by William L. Snyder, wins the award for Greatest Brief Topics – Cartoons. The story initially appeared in Feiffer’s Passionella and Different Tales.
A Boy Named Charlie Brown is nominated for Greatest Unique Track Rating. Music by Rod McKuen and John Scott Trotter; Lyrics by Rod McKuen, Invoice Melendez, and Al Shean; Tailored by Vince Guaraldi (Sure, THAT Rod McKuen! Who did they lose to?)
Carnal Information, written by Jules Feiffer, receives a nomination for Greatest Supporting Actress for Ann-Margaret.
It might later be the centerpiece of the Supreme Courtroom obscenity ruling in Jenkins v. Georgia.
The Doonesbury Particular by John Hubley, Religion Hubley and Garry Trudeau, acquired a nomination for Greatest Animated Brief Movie. It gained the Grand Jury Prize from the Cannes Movie Pageant and was nominated for the Palme d’Or for “Greatest Brief Movie”.
Superman receives three nominations, probably the most for a comics film since Skippy in 1931.
- Greatest Movie Modifying (dropping to The Deer Hunter)
- Greatest Music (Unique Rating) (a loss for John Williams, dropping to Midnight Categorical and Giorgio Moroder)
- Greatest Sound (dropping to The Deer Hunter)
- and a Particular Achievement Academy Award for Visible Results awarded to Les Bowie, Colin Chilvers, Denys Coop, Roy Subject, Derek Meddings and Zoran Perisic
The Snowman, directed by John Coates, based mostly on the graphic novel by Raymond Briggs, is nominated for Greatest Animated Brief Movie.
Annie, an adaptation of the musical based mostly on the caricature created Harold Grey, is nominated for 2 awards:
- Greatest Unique Music Rating and Its Adaptation or Adaptation Rating: Adaptation Rating by Ralph Burns
- Greatest Artwork Path: Artwork Path: Dale Hennesy (posthumous nomination); Set Ornament: Marvin March
Annie is the uncommon film which additionally acquired Golden Raspberry Award nominations for quite a few “worst” classes: Worst Image, Worst Director (John Huston), Worst Screenplay (Carol Sobieski), and Worst New Star (Aileen Quinn). Ms. Quinn did win the award for Worst Supporting Actress. [I guess it wasn’t good, or bad, enough?]
The Academy Award for Greatest Artwork Course is awarded to Batman (Artwork Course: Anton Furst; Set Ornament: Peter Younger).[DC Comics would then hire Furst to retroactively redesign Gotham City, via the “Destroyer” story arc which exposed forgotten landmarks from “Old Gotham”. Sadly, Furst would commit suicide before the issues were published. His designs would remain until the “Cataclysm” earthquake storyline which led into “No Man’s Land”. The look of Gotham City in the movie also inspired the “Dark Deco” look of Batman: The Animated Series.]
Dick Tracy earns seven nominations, and wins three Academy Awards:
- Greatest Supporting Actor: Al Pacino as Alphonse “Huge Boy” Caprice (Misplaced to Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.
- Greatest Unique Track: “Sooner or Later (I All the time Get My Man)” Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim [!!!]
- Greatest Sound: Thomas Causey, Chris Jenkins, David E. Campbell, and Doug Hemphill (Misplaced to Dances With Wolves.)
- Greatest Artwork Path: Artwork Course: Richard Sylbert; Set Ornament: Rick Simpson
- Greatest Make-up: John Caglione Jr. and Doug Drexler
- Greatest Costume Design: Milena Canonero (Misplaced to Cyrano de Bergerac)
- Greatest Cinematography: Vittorio Storaro(Misplaced to Dances with Wolves)
Ruth Myers earns a nomination for Greatest Costume Design for The Addams Household.
Batman Returns receives two nominations, however fails to win:
- Greatest Make-up: Ve Neill, Ronnie Specter and Stan Winston
- Greatest Visible Results: Michael L. Fink, Craig Barron, John Bruno and Dennis Skotak
Addams Household Values is nominated for Greatest Artwork Path (Artwork Course: Ken Adam; Set Ornament: Marvin March) however loses to Schindler’s Record.
Scott Squires, Steve Spaz Williams, Tom Bertino and Jon Farhat are nominated for Greatest Visible Results for his or her work on The Masks.
Batman Eternally is nominated in three classes:
- Greatest Sound Results Modifying: John Leveque and Bruce Stambler (dropping to Braveheart)
- Greatest Sound: Donald O. Mitchell, Frank A. Montaño, Michael Herbickand Petur Hliddal (dropping to Apollo 13)
- Greatest Cinematography: Stephen Goldblatt (dropping to Braveheart)
The Line King: The Al Hirschfeld Story, directed by Susan W. Dryfoos, is nominated for Greatest Documentary Function
Males in Black earns three nominations, and wins one Oscar.
- Greatest Unique Musical or Comedy Rating: Danny Elfman loses to The Full Monty. [No, he was not nominated for his iconic Batman score.]
- Greatest Artwork Course: Artwork Path: Bo Welch; Set Ornament: Cheryl Carasik (Loss to Titanic.)
- Greatest Make-up: Rick Baker and David LeRoy Anderson win.
Ghost World , tailored by Daniel Clowes and Terry Zwigoff based mostly on the comedian ebook by Daniel Clowes, turns into the primary comedian guide to be nominated for Greatest Screenplay Based mostly on Materials Beforehand Produced or Revealed/Tailored Screenplay. (Skippy, method up firstly of the record, was the primary comedian strip.)
The Street to Perdition earns six nominations and one win:
- Greatest Supporting Actor: Paul Newman lose to Chris Cooper in Adaptation.
- Greatest Unique Rating: Thomas Newman loses to Frida.
- Greatest Sound Modifying: Scott Hecker loses to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
- Greatest Sound: Scott Millan, Bob Beemer, and John Patrick Pritchett lose to Chicago.
- Greatest Artwork Path: Artwork Path: Dennis Gassner; Set Ornament: Nancy Haigh, lose to Chicago.
- Greatest Cinematography: Conrad Corridor wins the award posthumously.
Spider-Man receives two nominations:
- John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara, and John Frazier are nominated for Greatest Visible Results.
- Kevin O’Connell, Greg P. Russell, and Ed Novick for Greatest Sound.
American Splendor receives a Greatest Tailored Screenplay nomination for Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini based mostly on the comedian e-book collection American Splendor by Harvey Pekar and Our Most cancers Yr by Harvey Pekar and Joyce Brabner.
The Incredibles receives 4 nominations, and wins two Oscars:
- Greatest Animated Function Movie: Brad Fowl
- Greatest Sound Modifying: Michael Silvers and Randy Thom
- Greatest Unique Screenplay: Brad Fowl loses to Everlasting Sunshine of the Spotless Thoughts.
- Greatest Sound Mixing: Randy Thom, Gary Rizzo and Doc Kane lose to Ray.
Spider-Man 2 receives three nominations, and wins one Oscar:
- Greatest Visible Results: John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk, Anthony LaMolinara and John Frazier
- Greatest Sound Modifying: Paul N. J. Ottosson loses to The Incredibles.
- Greatest Sound Mixing: Kevin O’Connell, Greg P. Russell, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Joseph Geisinger lose to Ray.
A Historical past of Violence is nominated twice. As soon as for Greatest Supporting Actor for William Harm, and once more for Greatest Tailored Screenplay for Josh Olson based mostly on the graphic novel by John Wagner and Vince Locke.
Wally Pfister was nominated for Greatest Cinematography for Batman Begins.
Mark Stetson, Neil Corbould, Richard R. Hoover and Jon Thum obtain a nomination for Greatest Visible Results for Superman Returns.
Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud obtain a nomination for Greatest Animated Function Movie for Persepolis. Based mostly upon Satrapi’s graphic novel memoir, it was additionally France’s official entry for Greatest Overseas Movie, however didn’t obtain a nomination.
The Darkish Knight units a report for comics films by garnering eight nominations, however not Greatest Image, and profitable two. [The Academy would change the structure the next year, showcasing ten nominees instead of five. My feeling is, given the production of the film, its influence upon on other movies (for good: Black Panther and the MCU; for bad: the grim and gritty DCEU films), and its nomination for the Producers Guild Award, it would have qualified on the larger slate. As would have WALL-E.]
- Greatest Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger – The Darkish Knight as The Joker
- Greatest Sound Modifying: Richard King
- Greatest Sound Mixing: Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo and Ed Novick (dropping to Slumdog Millionaire)
- Greatest Artwork Path: Artwork Course: Nathan Crowley; Set Ornament: Peter Lando (dropping to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
- Greatest Cinematography : Wally Pfister (dropping to Slumdog Millionaire).
- Greatest Make-up: John Caglione Jr. and Conor O’Sullivan (dropping to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
- Greatest Movie Modifying: Lee Smith (dropping to Slumdog Millionaire)
- Greatest Visible Results: Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber and Paul Franklin (dropping to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Iron Man, the primary Marvel Cinematic Universe film, features two nominations:
- Greatest Sound Modifying: Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes (dropping to The Darkish Knight)
- Greatest Visible Results– John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick and Shane Mahan (dropping to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Hellboy II: The Golden Military good points a Greatest Make-up nomination for Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz.
Needed earns a Greatest Sound Modifying nomination for Wylie Stateman (he loses to The Darkish Knight) and a Greatest Sound Mixing nomination for Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño and Petr Forejt (who lose to Slumdog Millionaire ).[PHEW! ]
Iron Man 2 is nominated for Greatest Visible Results by Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Dan Sudick. They lose to Inception.
John Williams earned his 46th nomination for The Adventures of Tintin. The award went as an alternative to The Artist.
Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Man Williams and Dan Sudick are nominated for Greatest Visible Results for his or her work in Marvel’s The Avengers (which misplaced to Lifetime of Pi).
Christopher Townsend, Man Williams, Erik Nash and Dan Sudick obtain a Greatest Visible Results nomination for his or her work on Iron Man three, however lose to Gravity.
The Wind Rises, directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Toshio Suzuki, receives a nomination for Greatest Animated Function Moviedropping to Frozen. In line with Wikipedia, “The movie is tailored from Miyazaki’s manga of the identical identify, which was in flip loosely based mostly on each the 1937 novel The Wind Has Risen by Tatsuo Hori and the lifetime of Jiro Horikoshi.”
Birdman or (The Sudden Advantage of Ignorance) receives 9 nominations, and wins 4, together with Greatest Image and Greatest Director. Why point out it? Nicely, right here’s the official synopsis from Fox Searchlight:
BIRDMAN or The Sudden Advantage of Ignorance is a black comedy that tells the story of an actor (Michael Keaton) – well-known for portraying an iconic superhero – as he struggles to mount a Broadway play. Within the days main as much as opening night time, he battles his ego and makes an attempt to get well his household, his profession, and himself.
Simply sticking a pin in it, and shifting on… [but, we fans of the last century loved this sort of thing… a comics poster seen in a sitcom, Bob Hope spoofing Batman and Robin, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends… we were hungry for any notice or acceptance from mainstream media! Back then, comics fans were part of the Weird Nerd community, which included fans of Oingo Boingo, Hunter S. Thompson, and Night Flight. Now, Hollywood is chronic for comics! OOPS… looks like I added some red string to that pin. Sorry.]
Huge Hero 6, based mostly on the Marvel superheroes, is awarded Greatest Animated Function Movie. Don Corridor, Chris Williams, and Roy Conli settle for the award. [It would take three years for Disney to produce a spin-off TV series, and no further Disney-Marvel animated films have been announced. Perhaps Sony will drink Disney’s milkshake with Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Or maybe Disney will realize that animated features are a great way to showcase younger characters without the harsh realities seen in the MCU?] [IT’S NOT A GENRE!!!]
Guardians of the Galaxy earns two nominations:
- Greatest Make-up and Hairstyling: Elizabeth Yianni-Georgiou and David Whit (dropping to The Grand Budapest Lodge)
- Greatest Visible Results: Stephane Ceretti, Nicolas Aithadi, Jonathan Fawkner, and Paul Corbould (dropping to Interstellar)
Greatest Visible Results lists three comedian guide films among the many 5 nominees:
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Bryan Grill, and Dan Sudick
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Stephane Ceretti, Nicolas Aithadi, Jonathan Fawkner, and Paul Corbould
- X-Males: Days of Future Previous – Richard Stammers, Lou Pecora, Tim Crosbie, and Cameron Waldbauer
Nicole Paradis Grindle and Sanjay Patel are nominated for Greatest Animated Brief Movie for Sanjay’s Tremendous Group.
Robert Valley and Cara Speller are nominated for Greatest Animated Brief Movie for Pear Cider and Cigarettes. Each the animated function and the unique graphic novels have been financed by way of Kickstarter.
Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson win the Oscar for Greatest Make-up and Hairstyling for his or her work on Suicide Squad.
Stephane Ceretti, Richard Bluff, Vincent Cirelli and Paul Corbould are nominated for Greatest Visible Results for his or her work on Physician Unusual.
Logan is nominated for Greatest Tailored Screenplaythe primary superhero comedian e-book so honored. Screenplay by Scott Frank, James Mangold and Michael Inexperienced; Story by James Mangold based mostly on characters created by Len Wein and John Romita Sr. [I don’t think Marvel officially credits them as the creators in the comics, nor pays them any equity fees.] Name Me by Your Identify wins as an alternative.
Christopher Townsend, Man Williams, Jonathan Fawkner and Dan Sudick are nominated for Greatest Visible Results for his or her work on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Blade Runner 2049 wins the award.
As famous all over the place, Black Panther acquired seven nominations:
- Greatest Image
- Greatest Unique Rating
- Greatest Unique Track [Competing with corporate cousin Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.]
- Greatest Sound Modifying
- Greatest Sound Mixing
- Greatest Manufacturing Design
- Greatest Costume Design
There are two superhero films among the many 5 nominees for Greatest Animated Function Movie:
- Incredibles 2
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Avengers: Infinity Conflict is nominated for Greatest Visible Results. If historical past is a sign, Marvel will lose this class, once more.
I’ve been writing for The Beat since July of 2010.
I’ve been studying comics since 1974, accumulating since 1984, and spreading the graphic novel gospel since 1994.
I’m a bookseller, a librarian, an novice scholar, a cool uncle, and a comics evangelist.
Ask me something!